Fit Tip Tuesday- If You Have Intolerances, Cook Your Own Food

Fit-Tip-Tuesday-Button

Last year I was diagnosed with a lactose & gluten intolerance. It took me a long time to accept it, adopt it and learn to cook with it but I did and it’s no big deal now. However, in the past month I have been burned; once by a restaurant and yesterday by my husband Ryan.

I went to an Italian restaurant last month and ordered a gluten free pasta dish. The dish was AMAZING and shortly after I started feeling sick and I didn’t stop feeling sick until a day or so after.

Last night, my husband made spaghetti. He put aside my gluten free noodles and after a plate I went to curling. By the 3rd end I was in a lot of pain, I figured he had mixed up the noodles. When I got home I double checked and the noodles I ate were fine, I looked at the ingredients on the spaghetti sauce and there it was- parmesan cheese. He hadn’t of thought to check out the ingredients to a tomato sauce whereas for me, I do it before I purchase anything.

IMG_5378

If possible, be responsible for your own cooking. If someone is not used to a food-specific restrictive diet, how can you expect them to know? I couldn’t be mad at Ryan for not thinking to check for cheese in the spaghetti sauce.

As for restaurants, I’m sticking to salads for awhile.

8 Comments

• Skinny Opinion (@skinny_opinion) February 11, 2014 at 9:45 am

Love this tip! Even for people without food intolerances, I say cooking your own food is always best. You never really know exactly whats in your food unless you cook it yourself!

• Betty LIVIN February 13, 2014 at 6:29 am

Exactly! And these days when you say you are gluten free people assume you’re on a diet so may not take it seriously. Cooking your own food is a pain in the butt but better than a pain in the stomach!

• Kristin February 11, 2014 at 10:17 am

This is a really good tip!! I hope you’re feeling better! 🙁

• Betty LIVIN February 13, 2014 at 6:29 am

Thanks! It never last long, but it sure is uncomfortable.

• Lisa @ The Skinny on Health February 11, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Great tip! I totally agree — it’s so important to make sure you know exactly what you’re eating. I mean, if a gluten free pasta or tomato sauce could make you sick without knowing it, who knows what else could be in your food?! I always like to make everything from scratch if I can, if not, stick to salads!

Thanks for linking up, I love your tips! Excited to see what you have in store for next week!

xo

• Betty LIVIN February 13, 2014 at 6:30 am

Thanks for the praise Lisa! It really is better to cook your own food, just a pain in the butt!

• Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie February 11, 2014 at 7:29 pm

I have a lactose intolerance and sticking to salads has definitely been the best way to avoid lactose at restaurants. I’m always surprised at what foods contain lactose in them!

• Betty LIVIN February 13, 2014 at 6:36 am

It really is! You have to be diligent!