Sitting All Day Sucks

I don’t know about you, but I HATE sitting all day long.

I get restless. I’ll shift my legs, sit on one, if I’m in pants I’ll sit cross legged, no matter what I do I hate it.

I found this Sitting Calculator on the Just Stand website- I recommend you do it now. I always thought I was pretty active since I hike/run on weekends and go to the gym 2-3 times a week. I am sitting on average 14 hours making me Very High risk for the Sitting Disease. I literally sit my entire waking hours!!

I don’t know how to change this- I drive myself to work so I have to sit for my commute. If I caught the bus like I did in Seattle I could stand. I am trying to find an exercise bike, treadmill or elliptical so in the evenings when I’m watching TV with my husband I can be moving. I am also trying to convince my work that a stand up desk is not a ‘perk’ but necessary for my health.

I have a large ab ball I like to sit on in the mornings. It improves my posture,keeps me from crossing my legs (away varicose veins), and works my core. I also try to get up and walk to offices instead of emailing, but that’s hard when everyone else prefers an email.

Sittin' on my ball

Sittin’ on my ball

Below is a great infographic on how terrible sitting all day is for us.

sitting-is-killing-you

So how do we change this? How do we counteract the sitting culture? Any ideas?

7 Comments

• Katy March 31, 2014 at 1:27 pm

That’s scary!! Mine is about 12.5hrs a day give or take since there are days I bike to work.

• Betty LIVIN March 31, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Isn’t it insane? You don’t realize how much it is until you add it up. I’ve always thought I was fine because I workout for about an hour every other day. This is a wake up call!

• Kristin March 31, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Wow, great post and ugh, I know I sit a lot because I’m a writer and that’s what I do…sit at my computer and type!!

• Betty LIVIN April 1, 2014 at 6:24 am

It’s amazing how sedentary we’ve become in our society. And like you, I have to sit for work so I don’t know what to do about it.

• Kristin April 1, 2014 at 6:56 am

I know what you mean!! It’s hard to find a solution. XOXO!!

• leticia April 3, 2014 at 4:44 am

Hi Betty from Spain.
    My english is not very good but ill try my best.
    I hate sitting all day nut its inevitable because of my job.
    SO, two months age, i decided to stand up every hour and up/down stairs (I work on a fourth floor).
    So, every hour, i stand up and down/upstaris once or twice, go to bathroom and back chair.
    I never sit down on public transport. Always i go shopping on foot, i rarely take the lift, go parents home on foot, go park on foot, go for some randoms on foot and…go work on foot. It takes me one hour, two hours round trip.
    I walk three or four hours every single day (work, randoms, etc…)
    What do you think? 😉
    Of cors, hiking weekends (if the weather is nice) and sometimes running, biciclying, gym, stretching-.–

• Betty LIVIN April 3, 2014 at 6:46 am

Hi Leticia- Thanks for sharing your solutions! That is amazing how much you have been able to incorporate walking like that! Such an inspiration. 🙂