Hiking to and around Bertha Lake

On Saturday I finally met up with an internet friend (Hi Melanie!) and we headed to Waterton to hike to Bertha Lake. Melanie isn’t from here and had only been to Waterton a handful of times so I loved having the chance to play tour guide and watching someone appreciate the place as much as I do.

We started off at the Bertha trailhead and hiked to lower Bertha Falls before heading back up.

IMG_7802

IMG_7803

After the falls the trail heads up, up, up to the lake. Oh those switchbacks! I was told there are 25 switchbacks on that trail up and at every turn you think to yourself “I have to be getting close!”

You do get a gorgeous view of Upper Bertha Falls off the trail.

Upper Bertha Falls

Upper Bertha Falls

It’s not too long, about 2.8km from Lower Bertha Falls to the Lake so even though it uphill switchbacks we were at the lake pretty quickly.

First glimpse of Bertha Lake

First glimpse of Bertha Lake

I originally wanted to climb to Bertha Peak but when we hit the lake I was just not there mentally.  There were a ton of people having lunch on the shores so Mel and I tramped off to find a quiet spot of our own to eat.

IMG_7815

After we ate we were going to turn back when we came upon an older couple who asked if we were planning to hike the trail around the lake. I had no idea there was a trail that went all the way around! Of course we had to check it out.

The scenery was beautiful and it took us 1.5 hours to go around the whole lake, it’s a long skinny lake!

IMG_7824

IMG_7836

IMG_7834

IMG_7838

At one point you have to go uphill

At one point you have to go uphill

IMG_7851

We ran into a backcountry camper who was fishing for his supper which would be a really fun way to spend a weekend.

Overall it took us five hours total and a great way to spend a day.

Gorgeous view on the way down

Gorgeous view on the way down

11 Comments

• Catherine August 24, 2016 at 9:03 am

Awesome pictures. I had no idea there was a trail that went around the lake.

• Rachel August 25, 2016 at 7:05 am

Neither did I! It was so pretty and there was no one else there except a lone fisherman.

• Becky @ The Bex Factor August 24, 2016 at 9:25 am

Looks gorgeous. I would love to do this hike! I really need to make it back to Waterton

• Rachel August 25, 2016 at 7:05 am

Yes you do! And let me know when you come! 🙂

• Kris @ Canadian Girl Runs August 24, 2016 at 9:30 am

Looks gorgeous! We didn’t hike around the lake when we did it because it started hailing at the top haha, I need to get back to waterton!

• Rachel August 25, 2016 at 7:06 am

I’ve been up to the lake a couple times and always thought the trails led to the back country sites. I had no idea we could go around the whole lake.

• Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales August 24, 2016 at 10:11 am

Beautiful, fantastic way to spend a sunny day! And I love those printed crops you have on.

• Rachel August 25, 2016 at 7:06 am

It was an awesome day. Thanks! I’m so proud of those crops because I found them at a garage sale for $10! Lol!

• Goat Lake with a Side of Scrambling - Better Livin August 30, 2016 at 9:39 am

[…] learning that Bertha Lake had a trail around it, I wanted to take the trails around the back country camp sites and see how big Goat Lake was. We […]

• Katie January 8, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Really enjoying your blog! I spent this past summer doing all the coulee’s in Lethbridge with my dog, this summer I want to try Waterton, it’s my first year of hiking, do you have recommendations of where I should check out first?

• Rachel January 8, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Thanks for leaving a comment Katie! There are a TON of great beginner hikes and I write about them on my blog. I suggest you try Bertha Falls (5.6 km) and Crandell Lake (2.4 km round trip) first. When you want to do something longer but still with little climbing, try the Lakeshore Trail (13 km one way) or Wishbone Trail (6.5 km one way to Vimy trailhead). I write about all of them so check out those posts for more details. Happy Hiking!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂