Friday Fitness- Gotta get up early!

Friday at last!! This has been a long exhausting week. Getting back into the school groove is tough but my three hour ed classes paired with filling any spare hours with work has been so exhausting! Almost every day this week I’ve come straight home after leaving work or class at 4 and napped.

This busy schedule paired with lots of homework, Ace’s football games, softball, visiting grandma, and managing cooking and cleaning has meant that this week my workouts took a back seat.

There is another runner in my class and she gets up at 5am to get her run in because of the busy schedule. This week I asked her for tips and tricks and these are some of the ones I’m going to try:

Just Get Your Feet on the Floor

I think this is the best piece of advice I heard! How often have I turned off my alarm and simply rolled over and fell back asleep. If I make sure I at least get my feet on the floor I’ll have a much better chance at getting up.

Have everything pre-packed and hop in your car in your pajamas and drive to the gym. The drive will wake you up.

This one seemed genius to me because of my almost hour long commute to school. If I have EVERYTHING packed I can get up and walk out the door with breakfast and a little coffee and wake up on the drive listening to music to pump me up.

Great ideas right? And I’ll start off small and try to make sure for the next couple of weeks I get in one early morning run a week. Once I have that down I’ll up it to two. It’ll be really hard when the snow flies though because getting out of bed on a cold day is pretty brutal.

Let’s talk about my workouts this week, or rather, that one run I did all week.

Friday-Sunday– Nothing

Monday– 3 mile run

14375237_10157410496470484_1876247976_o

Tuesday-Thursday-Nothing

I love the excitement of a new semester and all the new stuff that comes with it, people, teachers, classes but getting into a new routine is tough. Wish me luck!

Any other tips for dragging myself out of bed in the mornings?

On a side note, how GORGEOUS is this full moon rising over my niece and her team playing flag football?

16 Comments

• Catherine Dudley September 16, 2016 at 8:14 am

Awesome advice. Early morning workouts are hard for me too!

• Charlotte September 16, 2016 at 4:36 pm

I like those tips. I think that yup, just get out of bed and get going!
    When do you finish school?

• Rachel September 16, 2016 at 5:27 pm

I have a year and a half left! So every semester it’s a new schedule to adjust to.

• Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales September 17, 2016 at 1:41 pm

I have a few workout buddies that are part of my group personal training class every week at 6 am and that is huge motivation to get up early! Or else they give me a hard time 😉 Getting to bed early enough is also the only way I can wake up!

• Rachel September 19, 2016 at 6:46 am

I have to do something like that. Anything to motivate myself!!

• Jessica Kuepfer September 19, 2016 at 8:44 am

Something I always do is sleep in my workout gear. Roll out of bed, grab some water and GO!

• Rachel September 19, 2016 at 3:14 pm

I’ve heard a lot of people do that! I couldn’t sleep in a sports bra though, I have to let my little gals swing free. BAH HA HA!

• Boned Broth September 20, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Waking up early is already a challenge for me. Haha! Thanks for the tips! 🙂

• Rachel September 21, 2016 at 7:11 am

I struggle SO BAD! And since writing this, I have yet to get up one morning. ARGH!

• Jennifer Love Running October 8, 2016 at 4:07 am

Wake up at 5am is my nightmare for ever! specially under the cold weather and snow outside! but workout has no place for lazy man so i must ” get my feet on the foor”! thks for tips anyhow:)

• Jack October 8, 2016 at 7:01 am

I love your tips. I usually put my alarm out of my reach from the bed. So that I am forced to stand up and walk to the alarm then turn it off. Do you think that’s a good idea to get your feet on the floor? Haha

• Rachel October 8, 2016 at 7:42 am

That’s a great idea!!

• Michael October 10, 2016 at 7:48 pm

I usually set multiple alarms, I don’t mean two — I mean five or six, starting half an hour before I want to get up. If I’m not in the habit of getting up early to hit the gym, my body is not ready for the rude awakening, and I find myself hitting snooze and missing my workout. ;))

• Rachel October 11, 2016 at 9:11 am

Ha ha! That’s dedication!!

• Claudia Smith October 12, 2016 at 2:59 am

Getting up early is a common issue for everyone to deal with. I think you should try to go to bed earlier, it helps you wake up easier. Thanks for sharing!

• Barbara J. Silverman October 21, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Great advices. I’m not a morning person. Waking up early is really a difficulty to me. Thank you for the informative post.