Friday Fitness- Being ok with less

I don’t want to turn this blog into a space where I complain about how much work my Education Practicum Studies are this semester but it has greatly affected my workouts and my running schedule. You know how everyone tells you “schedule it in” “stop making excuses” “there’s always time” well those are the voices that go through my head every day and it’s really adding a lot of pressure and stress on my long days.

I had to tell myself that it was time to take the pressure off and I had to accept that I can’t train like I want to at this moment in my life. The past couple of days have gone like this:

• 6:30-8- Get up, get ready, eat breakfast, drink coffee
  • 8-9- Drive/ride my bike to school
  • 9-12 Class
  • 12-1- Lunch
  • 1-4- Class
  • 4-5- Drive/bike home
  • 5-6- Make dinner and eat.
  • 6-9:30- Homework
  • 9:30- Get ready for bed
  • 10- Bed

No joke. Those have been my days. Like I said last week, if I can get myself up an hour earlier I can squeeze in a workout but dude- 5:30 am? Start my day at 5:30 am?  Or stay up later than 10 pm? No way! I’ve always been a sleeper and I can’t function without a lot of sleep.

I fell asleep on my binder during a break in class and the lines transfered to my face!

I mean, I do have to ride my bike from the stadium parking lot to the bike racks and that’s 0.8 miles each way so I’m biking 1.5 miles. Ha ha ha!

Rode my bike in the rain yesterday

Rode my bike in the rain yesterday

Here’s my week last week:

Friday- Nothing

Saturday- 8 mile long run

img_8533

Sunday- Nothing

Monday- 2 mile run

img_8549

OMG! I had put dinner in the oven and it was going to take 45 minutes so I decided that would be a great time to fit in a fast run. So I do a fast 2 miles-ish and when I get back home, the roast is still sitting on top of the oven! I had forgotten to put it in! AHHH!

Tuesday-Thursday- Nothing

I’m telling myself it’s ok to have the days where I miss workouts because I have to stop beating myself up about it. If I can make sure to workout both days of the weekend and to get at least one workout in the week I’ll have to call it good.

I did sign up for hot yoga today after class/work because I really need to quiet my mind for a little bit. It’ll make this weekends study grind much easier!

How was your week in workouts?

Tips for Types A’s on how to let stuff go? I’m struggling. Ha ha!

26 Comments

• Catherine September 23, 2016 at 9:57 am

Ahaha. Im surprised one of the dogs didnt eat your supper on monday.

• Rachel September 23, 2016 at 10:26 am

His paw is still infected, otherwise he totally would have!!! Ha ha ha!

• Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales September 24, 2016 at 10:33 am

I think one of the hardest things for me is accepting I can’t go after a lot of time-consuming goals all at once! This past year has really forced me to look realistically at my schedule and just let go of things I don’t have time for right now. Once you get a bit further in the semester maybe it will be a bit easier to fit exercise in? I find life for me goes in waves! Some days I’m more invested in work/career, others in social life, extracurriculars, volunteering and fitness.

• Rachel September 25, 2016 at 8:33 am

Exactly! I think once I find my groove my energy levels will pick up and I’ll figure something out. It’s a hard thing to let go of, especially when you want to do it all!

• Jennifer Love Running September 30, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Luckily, i only just work in the afternoon until night. So i have much time to work out in the morning! I can get your unstable running routine. Sometime im very lazy in bed in the morning. 5h30 s impossible for me:) my little dog wake me up at 7am. He s good at doing that job. Feeding time for him. Lol

• Rachel October 1, 2016 at 6:56 am

Yeah I’m going to have to either put off homework to workout in the evening or get up early. Neither sounds like a good option. Oh well!

• MICHAEL BRANDON October 3, 2016 at 3:23 am

Absolutely agree with you that we could ensure to take enough sleep in order to function well in the next day. What you have done last week is great. Enjoy reading your stories.

• Rachel October 3, 2016 at 7:14 am

Sleep is a non negotiable for me! Anything less than 8 hours and my productivity drops way down.

• Michael October 3, 2016 at 6:50 am

It’s great to read your post Rachel. I usually go to gym in the afternoon, morning always get me busy with tons of works. And evening I will go for a short run around my neighborhood. I think this is a great way to keep me away from belly fat.
    Have a great day woohoo

• Rachel October 3, 2016 at 7:14 am

Yeah it’s a hard balance to find. I’m hoping to get it figured out here soon!

• Claudia Smith October 4, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Look at your schedule at first!! It’s all the same like mine. So boring! I totally agree that we should bring some changes into life. You did a good job! Thanks for sharing and take care!

• James Gross October 5, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Luckily, i only just work in the afternoon until night, it always get me busy with tons of works.
    Thanks for sharing

• Richard Friesen October 7, 2016 at 3:21 am

i have no time for excersice, im alway busy with tons of work, wanna go to gym to keep me away from belly fat, its too difficult

• Rachel October 7, 2016 at 6:59 am

It’s definitely SUPER difficult sometimes! Try to do what I’m doing and make sure you work out at least every Saturday and Sunday.

• Friday Fitness- Gotta Walk the Walk - Better Livin October 7, 2016 at 7:41 am

[…] eating during my late night study jams. But as I said before, I’ve been trying to tell myself it’s ok to do less if this is a particular short period in my life where things are […]

• Barbara J. Silverman October 7, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Your daily schedule looks same with mine. But I usually can’t go to bed at 10 because of my work load, around 1 am. That’s the reason why spare time is really worthy, you know.

• larry dunn October 9, 2016 at 8:11 am

“I’ve always been a sleeper and I can’t function without a lot of sleep.”
    There is also the situation I’ve encountered.
    Try your best and good luck!

• Rachel October 9, 2016 at 9:44 am

Thanks Larry! 🙂

• Kristin October 15, 2016 at 2:15 am

Look like you have a really proper schedule. It’s a good thing to maintain a bedtime as your. I’m always struggle with having to go to bed early. I guess the reason is my unreasonable arranging timetable which I have to work on as soon as possible.

In addition, love your smile in every pictures. Wish you a successful and healthy Fall!

• Rachel October 17, 2016 at 9:26 am

Thanks for the kind words! Sleep is a non negotiable for me- my body gets tired and I can’t ignore it. I swear it’s like narcolepsy! 🙂

• Susanne October 15, 2016 at 2:16 am

You did a great job! You decided to make changes in your life and was successful. Keep moving forward, my dear! You can.

• Rachel October 17, 2016 at 9:25 am

Thanks for the encouragement! 🙂

• Jack October 17, 2016 at 4:22 am

I am a sleeper too. I am trying to change the schedule to shorten sleeping time. But I think 8-hours on sleeping is scientifically good for our health. I also love hot yoga. Hope you will not fall asleep in class 😉

• Rachel October 17, 2016 at 9:24 am

I need a minimum of 8 to be able to think! I would love to get by on less, it would give me more time!

• Betty November 2, 2016 at 10:58 am

I’m a night person, so it’s really hard for me to get up early in the morning. There was the time that I tried my best to go to sleep earlier so that I could get up at 5 and do exercises to loose weight, but it wasn’t for a long time. But it was really cool. I mean, get up earlier and do exercises – it really helps me feel fresher and healthier. So now I think I’ll try again. Thank you for inspiring!

• Rachel November 3, 2016 at 6:52 am

Thank you for the note Betty!! 🙂 It is TOUGH to get up in the mornings. I’ve been trying to do it all semester! I’m almost there. I’m getting up at 5:45 most of the days and I really need to be up at 5:30 to realistically fit in a workout. Baby steps.