Friday Fitness- Gotta Walk the Walk

I’ve been feeling pretty gross lately with the drastic drop in workouts, increased time indoors hunched over a computer or textbook, and all the JUNK I’ve been eating during my late night study jams. But as I said before, I’ve been trying to tell myself it’s ok to do less if this is a particular short period in my life where things are nuts.

HOWEVER, yesterday something shifted. I was teaching a group of my peers a physical education lesson which included covering Alberta Educations 4 General Outcomes of PE which are; Activity, Benefits of Health, Cooperation, and Do it Daily…for Life.

As I spoke about the importance of teaching life long healthy habits to students my inner voice yelled “You gotta walk the walk!” In the next class I was assigned another big project and I told myself between homework and visiting grandma I didn’t have the time for a work out. But the minute I walked in the door that inner voice told me I could just go for 20 minutes. This would give me just enough time to make and eat dinner before I was expected at grandmas. I laced up my Mizuno’s and took off.

The point of this long soliloquy is that there are 101 reasons not to squeeze in a workout and I’ve got them all! But if I’m going to teach healthy living (and blog about healthy living), I need to be living healthy myself.

So dear readers- I would LOVE your tips and ideas for 15-20 minute workouts I could squeeze in to my schedule.

That said, let’s look at my week of workouts (it won’t take long).

Saturday- 5 softball games

We had our fall ball tournament on Saturday and played back to back games from 8:30 am- 4:00 pm. While softball is active, I don’t consider it a workout because I’m never moving consistently for more than 30 seconds-ish.

Sunday- Wednesday- Nothing

Thursday- 20 minute run

img_8776-1

Man did this run feel good! I could almost feel my leg muscles singing happily and I wound up running this fast! I knew I only had 20 minutes and I wanted to get in as much distance as I could so I’m proud to say it was my fastest 2 miler ever. Woot! Woot!

How do you squeeze in workouts? (And don’t say get up earlier because by body refuses! HA ha!)

Any 15-20 minute workout ideas you want to share?

10 Comments

• Bri October 7, 2016 at 9:24 am

I either do chores as a workout, go for 15 min walks during work or bust out a few squats while I’m waiting for my coffee at home!

• Rachel October 7, 2016 at 10:50 am

I like throwing in squats wherever I can! Thanks for the ideas!

• Becky @ The Bex Factor October 7, 2016 at 11:24 am

I’m a big fan of some of the beachbody programs for having quick and effective workouts that are 30 minutes or less. 21 Day Fix and 22 Minute Hard Corps (which I just chatted about earlier this week) are my favourites.

There’s also tons out there in terms of HIIT workouts that are short but definitely not sweet.

• Rachel October 7, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Thanks for the ideas Becky!

• Jo @ Living Mint Green October 7, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Okay here are two of my favorite workouts when I’m short on time and often use my lunch breaks to squeeze in some movement:

1. The 1000 Rep workout: http://www.peanutbutterrunner.com/1000-rep-home-workout/

10 burpees
    10 squat jumps
    10 jumping lunges (each leg)
    10 x jumps
    Optional: 10 push ups or crunches or reverse lunges to bring your heart rate down

I’ll do three rounds of the above, rest for about a minute and cycle through 3-4 times. (It takes about 20-25 minutes to do 4 rounds)

Try it!!!

• Rachel October 7, 2016 at 1:48 pm

That’s a great one Jo! I can fit in as many rounds as time permits! Thanks!!

• Charlotte October 9, 2016 at 9:47 am

Great reminder. I realized that all I can do is what I can. My mom fell last week, and I was spending a lot of time making sure she took her meds and ate well after working all day.
    When I told myself that I’m too tired to workout, I remembered this. I was able to fit in at least 5 minutes on some days of being active.

• Rachel October 10, 2016 at 8:09 am

Exactly! Squeeze it in wherever possible. We aren’t pro athletes. 😛

• Charlotte October 9, 2016 at 9:48 am

Oh….and look into The Sworkit app. You can custom time your workouts from 5 minutes to 60.

• Rachel October 10, 2016 at 8:08 am

Thanks for the suggestion Charlotte! I’ll check it out!