Swimming is a great workout that’s easy on the joints. Swimming is a great workout because you need to move your whole body against the resistance of the water.
Other health benefits of swimming include:
- keeps your heart rate up but takes some of the impact stress off your body
- builds endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness
- helps maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart and lungs
- tones muscles and builds strength
- provides an all-over body workout, as nearly all of your muscles are used during swimming.
Besides the benefits to the body, swimming is a benefit to the mind. It’s impossible to check your phone or be distracted when you’re in the pool. Swimming is similar to yoga as it involves stretching your muscles and developing a rhythmic breathing pattern which can release mental, emotional and physical stress. Plus, because swimming is so repetitive, it’s highly meditative.
We’re fortunate to have a state of the art aquatic facility here on campus and we can take advantage of the pool before or after work. Your challenge this week is to hit the pool! Try the U of L’s new Aqua Zumba on Thursday nights or hit a lunchtime Aqua Fit class on Mondays and Wednesday from 12:05- 12:50 p,m.
Health Benefits of Water-based Exercise (Centre for Disease Control & Prevention)
How swimming improves mental health (swimming.org)