Last year my intention for the year was to stress less; to take things as they come a little better and not spend time worrying about things out of my control. I was very happy with the outcome and would grade myself at a solid 70%. The other 30% was my failure to go with the flow more, which is why I’m setting that as my intention for 2018.

It makes sense, with my first baby on the way and a new career substitute teaching, this will be an unpredictable year. This is a difficult concept for me because I’m a planner and a control freak. When I make plans and write it down, I expect things to go just so.

This last year of school I saw a lot of progress in my flexibility, especially while teaching! You come in one day with your plans and then are told you don’t have the gym that day and have to revamp your plans on the fly. It was a great growth experience for me and I want to continue down this path.

I’ve often said to Ryan that I feel like I’ve spent my life swimming upriver. I have my goals and vision for what I want my life to be life but the current keeps taking me away from that life and I get tired swimming against it. My friend Jo from Living Mint Green has been talking a lot about alignment and how if you go with the flow, it will actually take you where you are meant to be and where you will be happiest.

“Alignment is not trying to immediately figure out the solution (aka telling the universe what to do) then going nuts over trying to make it happen. It’s never about a solution. It’s always about creation.  It’s not our job to make anything happen, it’s our responsibility to let it in!”- Living Mint Green

This really resonated with me and if you’re a Type A personality struggling with chronic stress, anxiety, and control issues, I suggest you have a read of the FULL POST.

Does this mean I expect to completely change who I am and stop making my daily to-do lists and plans? Absolutely not! It means that I’m going to try to be more receptive to things when they don’t go as plan and to have the flexibility to change course as needed. I’m going to trust that the things that happen in life have to be for a reason. After all, this baby came on his terms at his time, kind of a a bad time for me, but that’s ok, I’ll adapt.

So here’s to a year of working on letting go and letting more in!

What are your intentions or goals for 2018?

Any other Type A’s out there struggle like I do?

2 thoughts on “2018 Intention – Go With The Flow

  1. I love it. You can always tell if you’re flowing with the current or against it because you’re more relaxed. And the more relaxed you are, the easier it is to allow life to work out!

    I’m so excited for you and can’t wait to see how wonderful 2018 is to you.

    1. That’s what I’m hoping for. To relax more and be better at going with whatever life brings. So far, not a great start, but it’s a process. Ha ha!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *